Those of you that have known me most of my life, will be familiar with the beginning of this story. When I was fifteen months old, I climbed up on a bag of oranges and was able to reach a can of paint thinner my mother was washing her brushes in. After drinking it, I became a very sick baby. After a disastrous visit to the local hospital, my parent drove with police escort to the Clovis Memorial Hospital. I was unconscious and suffering from chemical pneumonia. Waiting for us at the hospital was Dr. George Prothro. Along with prayers of several Christian Science ladies that prayed without ceasing, Dr. Prothro was able to save my life.
That's the first part.
A few days ago, I was reading an article online, and it mentioned a Dr. George Prothro. I did a little research and determined that this was the doctor that my parent spoke of. I sat down, sent an email of gratitude to him via the Tulsa County Medical Society and asked them to forward it to him.
Today in the mail I received the following letter in the mail:
Dear Jill
What a wonderful surprise to receive your very delightful letter! I am so glad you contacted the Tulsa County Medical Society. Than you for your thoughtfulness in contacting me. You revive so many pleasant memories from my "pediatric days" .
I have been blessed by a long and good life. After leaving Clovis in 1965 I became director of the Tulsa County Health Dept for 11 years. Then for the next 20 years I taught medical students in three medical colleges in Tulsa. I kept this up until I was 80 and since then have been involved as a volunteer in a program that is making millions of dollars of medicines available to low income persons at no cost.
Thanks again for writing. My best wishes to you and your children - and your parents if you are fortunate to still have them.
Your efforts, and story, are a great blessing. May God Bless you.
Sincerely, George W. Prothro
Thanks for the memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment